Archbishop Platon presided at the dedication of St. Mary’s Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church, First and Phillips Streets, Coaldale, in May 1914. Also on hand were Archdeacon Vsevolod, members of the clergy and parishioners. The congregation was formed in 1909 and a church was the major goal. Summit Hill contractor Andrew Breslin started construction on May 8, 1913. The cornerstone was placed on Oct. 29, 1913. A chandelier installed in the church was a gift from parishioners in Bessarabia. Before he left and returned to Russia, Archbishop Platon was presented with a gold cross adorned with pieces of anthracite on the sides. Later bells were installed in the church, the first named for St. John, the middle bell for St. Vladimir and the smallest for St. Nicholas. These bells have rung faithfully on Sundays and holy days, for midnight services at Christmas and Easter and to toll the death of parishioners. Photo courtesy of Tink’s Antiques, Tamaqua, via Michael Havrischak.