The Beginning

Coaldale Volunteer Fire Company was organized April 26,1906. The meeting was held in the East Ward School Building which is now vacant. The seventy-five members elected the following officers: Alexander Murphy, President; William Evans, Vice-President; H.F. Blaney, Recording Secretary; Charles A. Melley, Financial Secretary; Neal J. Boyle, Treasurer; William Morrall, Peter McHugh and John Yemm, Investigating Committee; Thomas Minnick, Assistant Foreman; Neal McNelis, Sergeant-At-Arms; James D. Boyle, Assistant Foreman; and James L. Gallagher, Fire Chief.

First Station & First Fire Truck

In 1907 the Coaldale Borough Hall was built at the cost of $15,000.00. This was the First station for the company. In 1908, the Town Council bought its newly organized Fire Company its first fire truck, a Howe motor driven pumper and chemical engine for $5,000.00. It was one of the first of its kind in Pennsylvania and the first in Schuylkill County. After being in use for six years, it was discarded for it proved to be unsatisfactory.

After discarding the motor driven engine, a horse-driven fire engine was purchased by Town Council. Two horses were purchased by the Fire Department. John (Buster) Hoben was the first driver of this team of horses. All equipment of the Howe engine was transferred to the horse drawn engine with the exception of the pump.

In 1916, the firemen purchased a motor driven combination pumper and chemical engine from the Hahn Motor Company of Hamburg. Motor driven fire apparatus was still an experiment in 1916 and the Hahn purchased at this time was proved to be unsatisfactory. The 1916 Hahn served its purpose until 1923.

In 1923 REO chemical engine was purchased through Michael Domin. The firemen realized the necessity of a pumper that would give them enough pressure to fight any fire that might break out in the community.

In 1928 the firemen purchased a new Seagraves at a cost of $12,500.00. It was equipped with a centrifugal pump which has the capacity of 1000 gallons per minute. This truck served the Fire Company until 1990.

In 1941 the firemen purchased a Hahn pumper with a 1000 gallon per minute pump and a full complement of wooden ground ladders ranging from 12 to 50 feet. For a period of twenty-three years, the 1928 Seagraves and the 1941 Hahn served as the community's source of fire protection.

In May of 1964, the firemen saw the need of a small truck to carry the protective and fire-fighting equipment owned by the Fire Department. The company then purchased a 1960 Chevrolet walk-in van for $1,595.00. The truck carried the boots, coats, helmets, smoke masks, and brush fire equipment owned by the company.

In August of 1965, the members of the company decided to look in to the purchase of a new pumper to replace the Hahn which was starting to have major mechanical problems. A five-year dream was finally realized in September of 1970 when a new Mack CF-600 1000 gallon per minute quad pumper was delivered to Coaldale for a price of $32,500.00.

After the purchase of the Mack, the firemen worked to build up the treasury and in October of 1972 took delivery of a 1972 GMC Equipment carrier for the price of $9,000.00. This truck was equipped with a power supply for emergency lighting system, search and rescue equipment, and self-contained breathing apparatus.

In October of 1975, the fire company entered into a contract with the American LaFrance Corp. of Elmira, New York to purchase a new "Century" model pumper, for the price of $58,382.00. The delivery on this truck was May of 1977. The American La France was in unsatisfactory condition on delivery, and returned to the manufacturer.

In 1977, the company moved into its new station at 121 West High Street. All of the inside work was done by members of the company. The station has three bays, full kitchen, bath rooms, and a social area for the members. This station is still where the CFD calls home.




Coaldale Volunteer Fire Company #1 has been serving the Borough of Coaldale and surrounding community's for over 100 years. The Coaldale Fire Company is run and staffed 100% by volunteers who are dedicated to serving their community. Since 1906 the Fire Company has been providing Fire and Rescue services. In 2006, the members of the Volunteer Fire Company celebrated its' 100th anniversary, with friends, family and hundreds of town supporters. The celebration took place on April 26, exactly 100 years since the fire company was organized. The celebration took place at the current Fire House location on High Street with local and state dignitaries, including Pennsylvania Governor Edward G. Rendell.

The men and woman of the fire company would like to welcome all of you to the new and improved web site. Here you will find information on upcoming events and fund-raiser's, history of the fire company, past call's responded to, and much more.

These days it seems fewer and fewer people are willing to volunteer their time for the fire services. We are always in need of help and always looking for people to assist us. Not only active Firefighters but others who help out with fund-raiser's and events. If you are interested in volunteering in any way, please contact us by phone for information or stop by the fire house anytime.




Chief Richard Marek - 1990 - Present

Chief Andrew Magazzu - 1986 - 1989

Chief Andrew Sotak Jr. - 1973 - 1986

Chief Earl Gilbert - 1970 - 1972

Chief Daniel Zeigler - 1967- 1970

Chief Andrew Mikolay - 1951 - 1967

Chief Irvin Murphy - 1916 - 1951

Chief James L. Gallagher - 1906 - 1916

Coaldale Fire Department releases 2010 figures
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Coaldale Fire Chief Richard Marek has released his 2010 report.

The company handled 128 calls, with 1,308.50 man-hours; 1,380 training hours (in company); 240 training hours (state classes); 349.75 man-hours in meetings and 402 man-hours on equipment maintenance.

Firefighters handled 27 public service calls; 21 false alarms; 17 mutual aid calls; 11 EMS assists, nine vehicle accidents; six odor investigations; five each police assists, carbon monoxide detector activations and assisting police department; three pumping basements; two each brush fires, search and rescue, tree down, porch, roof and stove-top fires, oven fire, equipment/electrical fire and hazardous materials incident; and one each fire police assist, dwelling fire and structure fire.

Source: News Tribune