(This article was found in The Valley Gazette and was originally published circa 1930 in an unspecified newspaper.)

Coaldale High School, modern and thorough in equipment, one of the finest high schools in the state, will be formally dedicated as part of the Armistice Day celebration. Work on building the school was started in 1921 but the contract was let first for erecting the necessary class rooms and rough finishing the interior, with a subsequent contract being let for completion of the school. Just last fall the seating capacity of the gym was increased so that the school as it stands today is complete and the dedication exercises proper.

Early in the year, 1921, April to be exact, Architect J.T. Simpson, of Newark, N.J., presented revised plans for the construction of the high school. Bids for its erection were accepted Sept. 2, 1921, and the contract was awarded to the United Fireproofing Co., the erection of the building being completed in 1923.

As it stands today it is a high school to be proud of. The building will be open for inspection Tuesday from 12 noon until 6 p.m., and everybody in town is asked to pay a visit to the high school and see for themselves the facilities provided for training the children.

Modern youth has every advantage in seeking higher education and its schools such as Coaldale that play their full part in equipping the boy and girl of today for his duties in after life.

The Board of Education as comprised today still has represented in its ranks four of the original seven directors who contracted and worked for the new high school. They are: Charles Watkins, president of the board when the school was built; Thomas J. Evans, Jacob Berger and Thomas J. West. William J. Clements was vice president of the school board, Burk Harvey, secretary, and David Yemm an active member. They have been succeeded on the board by David Phillips, Daniel Barrons and George Foster, all of whom are inspired with the desire to see Coaldale schools a leader, not only in the educational world but in all things that make for community progress and leadership.

An instance of their desire to further the advancement of education was found at a recent meeting of the Board when the Panther Valley Mining Institute was given the privilege of conducting its session at Coaldale High. The Mining Institute is preparing men and young men for advancement in the industrial field. It is bridging the gap that must be covered by ambitious men who were denied the opportunity of a high school education in their youth. Not only that it is giving later day high school boys a peep behind the scenes an insight into the technical sides of mining, electricity and mechanics. The study of what makes machinery go is as fascinating as turning a valve or throwing a switch to make it go and while the first purpose of the mining institute is to develop and train executives for the mining industry, still it recommends itself to the man wishing to get ahead and Coaldale School Board did the right thing in throwing open its doors to the mining institute.

Much of the credit for the success of Coaldale schools is due the teaching staff headed by John E. Gildea as supervising principal, with A.C. Moser as High School principal.

Mr. Gildea is a teacher of the old school. Self educated and a seeker after knowledge his entire life, he brings into the executive branch of the school system a well balanced viewpoint and the desire to do the right thing by everybody at all times.

Mr. Moser’s addition to the staff is a most excellent addition in that he has the happy faculty of building up school spirit and inspiring a student body with a desire to place their school in the forefront. Coaldale High today possesses as fine a spirit as can be found anywhere and to the teaching staff as well as the school as a whole goes credit for the development of this spirit.

Athletics as a part of the school curriculum, as a builder of spirit and loyalty is recognized by Coaldale school authorities and with the high school field adjacent to the building and a nicely equipped, commodious gym as part of the building this important part of school life activities is well looked after. High School athletic teams are well coached and drilled and with capable men in charge there is no danger of over-emphasis in any branch of sport. In fact there is no such thing as over-emphasis. When you look at the number of boys finding high school attractive because of its sport activities you have started them on the right road, education once started creates a demand for itself.

The Board of Education has still further plans in mind for improving the high school property. This fall the Phillips street side of the property was cut down to grade and pavements installed. The same will be true of High and Sixth Streets when the street paving reaches those streets. Once the grade is established there is every prospect of the athletic field being graded and permanently improved.

The dedication of Coaldale high school as part of the Armistice Day celebration should be participated in by every man, woman and child in Coaldale. It is your high school and being yours is deserving of all the pride and interest you can show in it.

The parade which will precede the dedication program will find music furnished by high school bands only. With the start of the present school term Coaldale High organized a school band also and have also added to their school activities the publication of a school paper, newsy and interesting and a worker for the development of school spirit.

Dr. Hiram H. Shenk, Archivist, State Library and Museum, Harrisburg, Pa., will deliver the dedicatory address and Dr. James D. Toole, assistant county superintendent of schools, will also be on the program.

Invocation will be offered by Rev. Herbert Hoyes, of the Seek P.M. church, and Rev. H.F. Pascoe, of the Congregational Church will present a flag to the school in behalf of the Independent Order of Americans.

Show your interest in Coaldale’s big celebration by whole hearted cooperation with all activities.