16,000 Visited No. 8 Mine at Coaldale in ‘35
(The Valley Gazette, April 1988)
Tours were conducted every day except Sunday and a modern guest house, protective clothing and trained guides were available free.
The lowest level in the No. 8 Mine, opened in 1845, was the eighth level, 1,209 feet below the surface and 131 feet below sea level. The cost of developing the eighth level was about $200,000, a per minute in the breaker, 15,000 gallons; water used per ton of coal prepared, 15 tons.
Only mountain spring water, stored in specially constructed dams, was used to purify “Old Company’s Lehigh Anthracite.”
The million-dollar steel breaker at Coaldale was completed in 1922. It replaced a wooden structure erected in 1909 that burned down in 1921.